Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pepper Steak

There are some recipes your Mom, grandmother, and aunts make that you just can't seem to master. My aunt and my Dad each make a killer Pepper Steak that you would swear was take out from the Chinese restaurant. I haven't mastered it, but I made an attempt and my dinner was quite yummy and I think you'll like it too. Of course, I could just ask for the recipes I guess, but I'm stubborn like that!


Pepper Steak
1 lb steak (sliced thin--see Tips and Tricks below)
2 green peppers, sliced
1 medium yellow onion, sliced into thin strips
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced into thin strips
1 small clove garlic, minced

Sauce:
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ginger
3 Tbsp. corn starch
black pepper

In a wok, or large saute or frying pan, add the sliced steak. Stir for the first few minutes so each slice is separated. Add the onions, stir. Then add the peppers and mushrooms, stir. Cover for 5 minutes to let all the ingredients cook. Uncover, add sauce, and let simmer uncovered, stirring often, until the sauce started to thicken and vegetables are cooked, yet still firm.

Serve over rice.

Tips and Tricks:
  • If you put the steak in the freezer for about an hour, it will firm up enough to be able to get those evenly cut, ultra thin slices.

  • Slice the peppers and onions into long strips. It's easier too eat with chopsticks.

  • You can use any kind of rice, however, my absolute favorite for any kind of Asian dish is Thai Jasmine rice. It's an aromatic rice that's just a little sticky. I could eat bowlfuls of stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment