Sunday, November 24, 2013

Spaetzle

My Swiss-German grandmother made these and I love them as a side, or just plain with a little butter and salt. Posting this to go with my Chicken Paprikash recipe, that is not my grandmother's but I'm pretty sure she would have liked it!

Spaetzle

Ingredients:

  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 cup water (or milk)
  • 2 cups flour
  • dash of nutmeg


Instructions:

  • Combine all ingredients, add the flour last, a little at a time.
  • Let rest for about 10 minutes
  • Boil a large pot of water
  • Drop small amounts of dough into the boiling water. I don't have the technique of my grandmother using a cutting board and knife, so I use the back of a spoon, or you can use a spaetzle maker or cheese grater to make a consistent size.
  • When the noodle are done, they will float to the top. Remove with slotted spoon.
  • Rinse in a colander in cold water.


Serve with Chicken Paprikash, or add to soup or stews, or fry in a pan with butter.



No comments:

Post a Comment